Foot prints

Foot prints
Come follow my adventures in OZ.......

Wines I have tried in OZ

  • Borassa Valley Estates SParkling Shiraz-a lovely red champgne styled bubbly. Don't you just love bubbly? This one was a gift from Amelia, Alicia and Carley. Great choice gals!
  • Killawarra Klassic Premium Brut
  • Jansz Tasmania Premium Non Vintage Cuvee-so far my fav white bubbly.
  • Banrock Station Good Earth Fine Wine Sparkling Shiraz-A fun bubbly red.No I will not drink it for breakfast!
  • Carrington Vintage Brut 2008 Special Cuvee-bubbly! I love bubbly, except right after creme caramel.
  • Thorn Clark Sandpipper Barossa Cabernet Sauvignon-Had this one at the Central market-not sure if was the very good company or the wine but I enjoyed them both-thanks Jo and John!
  • Fools Bay "Dirty Bliss" Grenache Shiraz - delightful solid red
  • Cleggett IIIawarra Block Shiraz 2006-Another winner!
  • Cleggett White Cabernet Sauvignon 2008-AMAZING!!! look this one up at www.cleggettwines.com.au
  • Wolf Blass Green Label 2008 Cabernet Shiraz-haven't tried this one yet -will let you know when I do
  • Wolf Blass Green Label 2008 Crisp Dry White-yes it is
  • Stanley Cabernet Merlot - my current house wine-a soft red
  • Lindemans Cawarra Cabernet Merlot 2008- a bit oaky
  • Lindemans Cawarrra Porphyry -sweet white-almost too sweet, even for moi

Tim Tam Tracker

Here are the Tim Tam's I have tried:
Original Tim Tam's
Blackforrest Tim Tam's
Caramel Tim Tam's
White Tim Tam's-my new personal favourite!
Creme Caramel-from the "sweet surender" line, OMG!
Hazelnut Mousse-from the "sweet surender" line as well. Not as good as Creme Caramel but still tasty.
Classic Dark Chocolate- yummy!
Double Chocolate Crunch-from the crush line.Nice.
Honeycomb-from the crush line. Sweet. Very.

Monday, October 5, 2009

Techno wizzard

Yes folks that is me-the techno wizzard! Hey I am figuring this out as I go. Those of you who are reading this certainly know that I don't do details well. I also don't type well. I also don't spell well. I do have lots of other gifts-honest! So some of you were asking for details. I have always wanted to go to New Zealand. I met an exchange teacher from New Zealand at Fallingbrook School several years ago-in fact she taught Amelia in grade 4. So the seed was planted......
Jump ahead to 2008. There have been lots of changes in my life. The time is right to stop dreaming and reach out for an adventure. I started the application process with the CEEF (Candian Educators Exchange Foundation). I had lots of help from my friends-particularly Jane. She helped with a big chunk of the 27 page application. I needed a floor plan. I contacted a real estate agent and the company who built my place no longer exists and it would seem neither do the floor plans. No problem for my friend Jane. She comes over with a pad of graph paper and a measuring tape. The next day at school she shows me the brilliant floor plan she had created on the computer. WOW. Next I need some pictures of my house. No problem for Jane. Over she comes with her trusty camera and voila my house looks amazing. WOW. So I submit my application and wait. I finally hear back from the CEEF-it would seem that my timing is a bit off. New Zealand is in the midst of reforming their education system and have just hired over 700 new teachers and are not permitting their own teachers to exchange. Drat. Plan B-yes there should always be a plan B. Where is the next best place to go on an adventure-why Australia of coarse! So I get out a map then call my former student teacher Andrea for some help. Andrea has visited Australia because her brother has married an aussie and now lives there. OK so the closer you get to the equator the hotter it is. OK so the logical thing to do would be to start my request at the bottom of the country. So I started in South Australia and went around and up. I even included Tazmania-heck why not? Initially I was offered an exchange outside of Sydney. I googled the area and it was very close to a National Park, the coast and Sydney. OK that works. The exchange partner has a husband and two sons. OK the bubblegum pink bedroom has to be painted-sorry Amelia. The way the exchange works is that you exchange jobs and houses. The CEEF does not recommend you exchange cars but they leave that up to the exchangees. So now the paperwork has to fly back and forth between the agencies, school boards etc. I get a notice saying that my partner had to withdraw and a member of her extended family was ill. Drat. The I get an offer to teach a primary class in the city of Adelaide in South Australia. Gee that name sounds familiar-oh yes Andrea's brother Kevin and his wife Cassie just happen to live there. Could that be an omen? Yes I think it must be. Pick me, pick me, pick me! So the paperwork starts to fly and the things grind to a halt. It would seem that the Aussie's have approved me BUT my partner is having some paperwork issues. DRAT. I was supposed to be notified before June 1st but because of the delays did not find out until I was down east in July. I have since made my travel arrangements and will be leaving over the Chirstmas holidays. My exchange partner and I have been in contact and we are both very excited. I am not sure how I will manage a 28 hour flight-any suggestions would be most welcomed-Pauline you must have some suggestions. My partner had emailed me to tell me that I will be arriving in their summer and a possibility of 40 degree plus weather. Gee do you think I should tell her what she might be arriving to??????????? I did ask her if she has ever done yard duty in -28 weather. I think she said no. Don't worry I did send her some pictures of my crab apple tree in full glorious bloom. I also offered to lend her my skates and skis and all my winter gear. I have a very nice down filled yard duty coat that goes to my ankles. Oh and I do have a new high efficient furnace and a gas fireplace-what more could she want?

So friends this New Year's Eve will be very very different for me than last years. So when you have a toast think of me. I will be a day ahead of you for a change. I may be at the beach and I hope there will be shrimp on the barbie! G'day eh!
Bern

1 comment:

  1. LOL - Bern this is AMAZING! What a Techno WHIZ you are!!

    That paperwork was not so bad - the last paragraph where you needed to write bown why YOU had to write about ourself - that was pretty funny!

    I don't know whether Bazza and I will make it to Australia or not - but Bazza sure wants to go!!

    Great blog!
    All the best. Jane

    ReplyDelete