Foot prints

Foot prints
Come follow my adventures in OZ.......

Wines I have tried in OZ

  • Borassa Valley Estates SParkling Shiraz-a lovely red champgne styled bubbly. Don't you just love bubbly? This one was a gift from Amelia, Alicia and Carley. Great choice gals!
  • Killawarra Klassic Premium Brut
  • Jansz Tasmania Premium Non Vintage Cuvee-so far my fav white bubbly.
  • Banrock Station Good Earth Fine Wine Sparkling Shiraz-A fun bubbly red.No I will not drink it for breakfast!
  • Carrington Vintage Brut 2008 Special Cuvee-bubbly! I love bubbly, except right after creme caramel.
  • Thorn Clark Sandpipper Barossa Cabernet Sauvignon-Had this one at the Central market-not sure if was the very good company or the wine but I enjoyed them both-thanks Jo and John!
  • Fools Bay "Dirty Bliss" Grenache Shiraz - delightful solid red
  • Cleggett IIIawarra Block Shiraz 2006-Another winner!
  • Cleggett White Cabernet Sauvignon 2008-AMAZING!!! look this one up at www.cleggettwines.com.au
  • Wolf Blass Green Label 2008 Cabernet Shiraz-haven't tried this one yet -will let you know when I do
  • Wolf Blass Green Label 2008 Crisp Dry White-yes it is
  • Stanley Cabernet Merlot - my current house wine-a soft red
  • Lindemans Cawarra Cabernet Merlot 2008- a bit oaky
  • Lindemans Cawarrra Porphyry -sweet white-almost too sweet, even for moi

Tim Tam Tracker

Here are the Tim Tam's I have tried:
Original Tim Tam's
Blackforrest Tim Tam's
Caramel Tim Tam's
White Tim Tam's-my new personal favourite!
Creme Caramel-from the "sweet surender" line, OMG!
Hazelnut Mousse-from the "sweet surender" line as well. Not as good as Creme Caramel but still tasty.
Classic Dark Chocolate- yummy!
Double Chocolate Crunch-from the crush line.Nice.
Honeycomb-from the crush line. Sweet. Very.

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Adventure begins......




Hi Gang,

I was met at the airport by Edie's 2 lovely daughters, her charming grandson Drew and a teaching colleague Kerry. Yes Amelia they did have signs. I was brain dead at this point after 29 hours of flying and time spent in airports. I walked out into the 39 degree noon day sun. YIKES. Talk about personal summer. Not to worry Sue I am not homesick yet-even though I miss you all, and yes I will suck it up. So I drove by my new school-WOW then off to my new home. I tried to stay awake until after supper-it was brutal. Jocey you will be happy to know I was my cheerful happy morning person at 4am.... everyday for almost a week. It has been hard to get over the jet lag and climate change but I am giving it my best shot. I am just about adjusted now. I had a call from my mentor from the Exchange Teachers League. She invited me to see the fireworks at the beach on New Year's Eve. Like I needed an excuse to go to the beach. We picked up one of her friends on the way. We hit it off really well. I was delighted to find out that she was a library teacher at one of the high schools. I think I should always have a library tech for a friend no matter what continent you are on-right Jane? There are fish and chip shops everywhere here and to my delight the fish is fresh and delish. I have been grocery shopping a few times and was shocked at the $5 toothpaste, coffee in MacDonalds is cheap at $3-I bought 2 coffees and a cookie for $15. I think I can make my fortune while I am here-muffins (when you can find them) are $3-5 each!!!!!!!!!(and frankly are not as good as mine). They have Kmart here and I bought myself a beautiful pink bike. I rode it to the beach at Glenelg and it took me 15 minutes. Walking in this heat is really not an option-I tried and just about kissed the pavement. I walk too fast-but am learning to slow down(or fall down). It has been above 40 for several days. Then the temp dropped into the 20's and then went back up to the high 30's. In spite of my dilligent application of sunscreen I have managed to get 2 sunburns. I am now using SPF 60 and wearing longer sleeves. I am never without my Tilly hat and I am thinking of taking an umbrella with me as I have seen the locals do. The UV index here is EXTREME because of the hole in the ozone. It is a dry heat and feels just like being in an oven. Yes I am getting cooked.

I have managed to get to the beach just about everyday. The beaches are glorious. I have never felt such warm water. Folks are on summer holiday mode here and everyone is so friendly. Feels like I am in the maritimes only much warmer and at times I don't understand the accent. Thank god Jane gave me the Aussie Dictionary for North Americans. Thank you all for your emails. No worries mates I am getting settled. I still have 2 weeks before school resumes so I am going to do some more exploring. Take care all! I miss and love you!
G'day eh!
Bern

4 comments:

  1. Bern! You are my hero! So brave!!
    What an adventure!! I'm so glad that there were people at the airport to meet you. Isn't jet lag awful - and the older we get, the longer it seems to take to get adjusted!

    I'm so glad to see you are there safe and sound - I have been checking your blog everyday and Bazza has been asking after you!
    Sent you an email!
    Love Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Bern, Carley here! glad you made it to Oz all in one piece, i am not looking forward to the long travelling at all but i know it is worth it! everything sounds amazing so far, keep the blogs coming!

    ps: i am keeping Amelia fed and such while you are gone :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see you made it. Love the pic of you
    on the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saturday, Jan 9 2010,
    Hi Bern, that sounds like a great beginning to your adventure! I can't wait to hear what else you discover. You are leading the way for the rest of us wanna-be explorers! It is -18 celsius with the windchill, so 40 above sounds kind of tempting. We were out cross country skiing yesterday, and it was COLD! Marj

    ReplyDelete