Foot prints

Foot prints
Come follow my adventures in OZ.......

Wines I have tried in OZ

  • Borassa Valley Estates SParkling Shiraz-a lovely red champgne styled bubbly. Don't you just love bubbly? This one was a gift from Amelia, Alicia and Carley. Great choice gals!
  • Killawarra Klassic Premium Brut
  • Jansz Tasmania Premium Non Vintage Cuvee-so far my fav white bubbly.
  • Banrock Station Good Earth Fine Wine Sparkling Shiraz-A fun bubbly red.No I will not drink it for breakfast!
  • Carrington Vintage Brut 2008 Special Cuvee-bubbly! I love bubbly, except right after creme caramel.
  • Thorn Clark Sandpipper Barossa Cabernet Sauvignon-Had this one at the Central market-not sure if was the very good company or the wine but I enjoyed them both-thanks Jo and John!
  • Fools Bay "Dirty Bliss" Grenache Shiraz - delightful solid red
  • Cleggett IIIawarra Block Shiraz 2006-Another winner!
  • Cleggett White Cabernet Sauvignon 2008-AMAZING!!! look this one up at www.cleggettwines.com.au
  • Wolf Blass Green Label 2008 Cabernet Shiraz-haven't tried this one yet -will let you know when I do
  • Wolf Blass Green Label 2008 Crisp Dry White-yes it is
  • Stanley Cabernet Merlot - my current house wine-a soft red
  • Lindemans Cawarra Cabernet Merlot 2008- a bit oaky
  • Lindemans Cawarrra Porphyry -sweet white-almost too sweet, even for moi

Tim Tam Tracker

Here are the Tim Tam's I have tried:
Original Tim Tam's
Blackforrest Tim Tam's
Caramel Tim Tam's
White Tim Tam's-my new personal favourite!
Creme Caramel-from the "sweet surender" line, OMG!
Hazelnut Mousse-from the "sweet surender" line as well. Not as good as Creme Caramel but still tasty.
Classic Dark Chocolate- yummy!
Double Chocolate Crunch-from the crush line.Nice.
Honeycomb-from the crush line. Sweet. Very.

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Borassa Valley Wine Tour






So it's the hottest day of the summer(so far) at 43 degrees, the perfect day to do a wine tour of the Barassa Valley! The coach drive is very nice(complete with AC and a front seat view) up the senic route along little Para Road. Along the way we pass several bike enthusiasts on their way down the hills. The Tour Down Under(similar to the Tour d'France) will be starting in a couple of weeks and teams of bikers are training all over Adelaide and the surrounding area. Many of them are riding on bikes that cost more than my car. They also wear real pretty outfits. Our first stop of the day is at a family winery in Lyndoch called the Kies Winery. We start off with cake and tea. The owner is a tea lover and has special blends-I try one called "Billy Tea" and true to it's name it tastes like ashes and burned branches. I needed to clense my palate after that with some nice white and red wines. Lovely. The next stop was just outside of the town of Tununda at the Langmiel Winery. This very historic area was settled in the 1840's and there are some very old Shiraz vines that date back 167 years. They are still producing grapes but at a much lower yield. It was here that I tried a red bubbly-made in the champagne style but with red wine.(Sparkling Shiraz Cuvee) The tour guide assured us that this fun wine was a breakfast wine meant to serve with bacon and eggs. It was nicely chilled and did go down rather well. Our next stop was for lunch at the Kaesler Vineyards. Here I had the opportunity to try some very well prepared kangaroo. It was a bit gamey but absolutely fabulous! Now I guess I can buy some at the grocery store to prepare myself-anyone want to come for dinner? The last stop of the day was at Wolf Blass. I imediately thought of my Bunkos Buddy Sue Thompson-this would be her favourite winery as Wolf Blass is one of her favourite wines. This winery was very commercial compared to the family run establishments, producing millions of litres of wine. I tasted and bought some Green Label White 2008 and some Green Label Cabernet Shiraz 2008 in the new shatterproof plastic bottles. I also had the chance to purchase and try a glass of the Black Label Shiraz and the Premium Label Shiraz as well. If I remember correctly(this was the last stop of several wine tastings) The Black Label retailed for $160/bottle and the Premium was either $200 or $500. No matter, I prefered the Black label. The more expensive wine was too "chunky" for my taste buds.It was an amazing day trip. The conclusion I have come to is that all the wine in Australia is wonderful. I would like to do the Clare Valley wine region next. My next quest however, is to taste and try as many varieties of Tim Tams as possible to determine my favourite. I will keep you posted on that.....til next time,
G'day eh!
Bern

PS sorry about the pictures-I am doing well to get them on let alone right side up!
PPS Hey Sue see me sharing the expensive wine with Wolf Blass?Come on over and I will share some with you too!

5 comments:

  1. Wow! I love the pictures!!! It sounds like a blast Bern!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bern, you look so relaxed. Thanks for giving us all such a great sense of your new surroundings. I too love the pictures - I can enlarge them on our computer for a closer look at the food & menus. Keep 'em coming!
    Tim tams (thanks Google) sound yummy.
    Love,
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. mom, fanny packs are from the 80's......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amelia dear I did not bring a purse and don't you know that I am still back in the 80's in lots of ways? Does that make me retro or a trend setter? love you too sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha i know mama i know. look like your having a blast can't wait for my turn you'll be a veteran by the time we come love you

    ReplyDelete